Sunday 3 April 2011

English mixed spices


Another of those little things made of habit: 

    with English mixed spices one means a mixture of spices very common, of course, in Britain. Unfortunately, in Italy where I live it is very hard if not impossible to find. I don't really know whether it is know in the rest of Europe or in the States, but for sure there is plenty of English traditional recipes that ask for them.
  It's much used, mostly but not only, in the preparation of desserts. I, for one, use it often in vegetable dishes, such as with carrots or onions. It has the great advantage of being a very well balanced mixture, and ready to use.    I overcome its unavailability by mixing it myself. Also, this gives me the important additional advantage of always having a fresh supply, as I make sure of never mixing a large quantity at once.
   The quantities mentioned below are therefore indicative. Naturally, what matters is the 
proportion between the various ingredients. 


Ingredients: 1 cinnamon stick, 5cm long 1 tbs allspice (a.k.a. Jamaican pepper) 2 tsp cloves 2 tsp coriander seeds 1 nutmeg, crushed
Place all ingredients in an electric coffee grinder. Run in short bursts so as not to heat up the spices until you've obtained a  fine powder. Store in an airtight jar.

1 comment:

In 'Comment as' choose profile: Name/URL

print